University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB)
Opened in October 2004, University of Liberal Arts (ULAB) is a private liberal arts-based University in Dhanmondi, Dhaka. We incorporate the principles of Liberal Arts, Sustainability, Liberal Education, Active Learning, and Research, which are woven through the university. Our General Education Program is the heart of the Liberal Arts curriculum, and our Center for Sustainable Development guides us on all issues related to Sustainability. ULAB is a research-intensive university, with multiple research opportunities for its faculty members and students.
ULAB’s founder, Kazi Shahid Ahmed, believes in creating works that benefit the people of Bangladesh and are of service to the country. In this spirit, he created a place of learning where well-rounded students would be fully steeped in the values of their own heritage, yet trained to face the modern global workplace.
The sponsors planned for many years, and the idea of the University was initiated at a public colloquium, in February of 2002, attended by leading academics, cultural figures, and entrepreneurs. Permission for the opening of ULAB was received from the University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh in November of 2003. ULAB was formally launched at a ceremony on October 1, 2004.
ULAB’s core values are the standards that drive our culture, guide our conduct, and set the minimum expectations for everyone at ULAB.
• Love of Lifelong Learning
• Embracing Integrity and Openness
• Demonstrating Leadership
• Encouraging Innovation
• Pursuit of Excellence
For its first two years ULAB operated from our original campus in Mohakhali, Dhaka.
The new, purpose-built campus in the heart of Dhanmondi was opened in the Fall of 2006. This brand-new, fully-dedicated building has all modern facilities, laboratories and libraries available for its students. In the Summer of 2008, ULAB opened its second campus, also in Dhanmondi.
ULAB is obtaining all permissions for its sustainable green Permanent Campus, on a beautiful multi-acre site in Mohammadpur.
Daffodil International University
Daffodil International University (DIU) is recognized in independent government assessments as one of top graded universities in Bangladesh. DIU offers bachelor degrees in the different spectrum of disciplines and provides the country's highly supported programes in many fields, including in IT, Telecommunications, Engineering and Business. Particularly strong programmes can be found in the faculty of Business, Information Technology and Engineering and English Language.
The University provides Masters Programmes in the areas of need and importance to the state and beyond. Graduate programmes offer students opportunities for specialized advanced education in their chosen field and are important components of the services of the university. As research is essential to the mission of an IT- based university, Daffodil International University is preparing to develop its research programmes.
Bangladesh Islami University
Bangladesh Islami University (BIU) was established in 2006. Since its inception the university has been working excellently and presently, it has become a modern, dynamic and innovative institution providing standard and high quality knowledge in every branch of education. The present campus of the University is housed in an eleven storied building located at 89/12, R. K. Mission Road, Maniknagar, Bishwa Road, Dhaka-1203. The foundation stone of the University building in the permanent campus was laid by His Excellency Dr. Abdullah N. A. Al-Bussairy, the former Ambassador, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Bangladesh.
The University authority firmly aims at disseminating holistic and modern education through integrated learning and state-of-the-art training method. The authority strives to produce modern citizens and professionals equipped with self-confidence, versatility of skills and with ethical standards to meet the challenges of the contemporary legal and corporate world and to sow the seeds of economic, spiritual and cultural growth.
The mission of BIU is to impart knowledge for interweaving the two streams of education of our country-religious and modern, in the light of Islam. The Supreme reality, Allah the Almighty, who wants spiritual consciousness, has given freedom to human intellect and imagination. There are four sources of knowledge that are used to explore the basic concepts of a human being and his/her relationship with Allah and the rest of the universe.
These sources are: > Revelation > Intelligence > Reason and >Consciousness. This philosophy serves as the basis of designing curriculum for BIU and helps to make it a “Centre of Excellence” by setting a new standard for the higher education in Bangladesh.
State University of Bangladesh (SUB)
• Providing a challenging academic environment and inspiring intellectual and artistic curiosity and creativity.
• Upholding the principle of providing the best education on the latest international curricula with a view to instilling in students a cosmopolitan spirit of fair competition
• Ensuring an environment supportive to teaching, research and employment.
• Attracting and retaining outstanding students, faculty and stuff.
• Focusing on students, integrating them with faculty members and institutional activities to activate the learning process through a shared vision of the future.
• Bringing about a global perspective in all its activities by inspiring the students to act locally and think globally.
• Generating interest in students towards public services and recognizing its role in
• enhancing the economic well-being of the country.
• Academic freedom and lively discourse.
• Curricula should be tailored to the needs of the time and may be modified to match of national and international requirements.
• Teaching, research and services are primary missions as they are interrelated.
• SUB believes that it is the duty of every stakeholder to ensure that the university’s image is reflected in its qualitative excellence.
• Continuous assessment of both the students and faculty members would be the winning formula in achieving cherished goals of becoming one of the leading universities in South Asia.
• Department of Architecture
• Department of Business Studies
• Department of Computer Science and Engineering
• Department of English Studies
• Department of Environmental Science
• Department of Food Engineering & Technology
• Department of Journalism, Communication and Media Studies (JCMS)
• Department of Law
• Department of Pharmacy
• Department of Public Health