'Suicide bomber' blows himself up in Ashkona | 2017-03-17 | daily-sun.com

'Suicide bomber' blows himself up in Ashkona

Sun Online Desk     17th March, 2017 07:32:32 printer

'Suicide bomber' blows himself up in Ashkona

A young man blew himself up on Friday at a camp for Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), wounding two others, in an apparent botched suicide attack.


The incident came a day after a series of raids on suspected militant hideouts in Chittagong’s Sitakunda.


Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan said a man carrying explosives entered the under construction site of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) headquarter near the Haji camp adjacent to Dhaka international airport on Friday morning.


The explosives went off after he was challenged by two RAB men, wounding them both but causing no other casualties.


RAB spokesman Mufti Mahmud Khan told reporters that the bomb exploded after the man, who entered the camp by jumping over a wall, was confronted by RAB officers.


It was not clear whether the detonation was deliberate, he added.


The spokesman said the man's identity was not known, but that the attack was similar in style to that of previous ones by Islamist extremists.


According to the witnesses, the over 20-year old attacker was shredded, his torso was ripped apart and sent pieces of him flying in all directions for about 15-20 metres.


Meanwhile, security has been beefed up at all international and domestic airports and prisons in the country.


After the attack, a bomb disposal unit swept the spot and recovered a live improvised explosive device (IED), RAB spokesman said.


The camp, which hosts a mix of elite police, army and air force personnel, has since been cordoned off.


Bangladeshi security forces launched a nationwide crackdown on Islamist extremists following a deadly siege at a cafe in Dhaka last year, arresting scores.


The drive was led by the RAB, which is tasked with tackling militancy and serious crimes in Bangladesh.


Four alleged militants were killed on Thursday when a raid on a building in the southern port city of Chittagong sparked a 15-hour stand-off with militants armed with guns and grenades.


Police said they were all members of the extremist group Jamayetul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) and that at least two were killed by a suicide explosion that they set off.