A California woman got a big surprise when she reached down for what she thought was her dog's rope toy. It turned out to be a baby rattlesnake.
The 12-second video uploaded on YouTube shows the woman in a bathrobe walking towards her driveway in the dark while appearing to talk to someone. Upon reaching the gate, she bends down to pick up what she thought was her German Shepherd's tug rope. The home surveillance video shows her panicked reaction when she realized it was a snake. She dropped it immediately and high-stepped out of there in a hurry as Duchess tried to help.
"I grabbed it and as I was going up, I realized it was gushy and it had a feeling to it, like a hot dog sort of," she told ABC7.
They called Los Angeles County Fire to help out and firefighters destroyed the snake. They warned her that baby rattlers are even more dangerous than adults because they can't control their venom.
Her husband posted the video of the incident on YouTube once the danger was over.