The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) on Sunday filed a case against 61 people, including 15 officials of Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB), for their alleged involvement in irregularities in implementing haor embankment projects.
ACC assistant director Md Faruk Ahmed filed the case against the 61 accused with Sunamganj Sadar Police Station under sections 166,109, 409,511 of Penal Code and sections 5 (2) and 109 (1) of the Prevention of Corruption Act 1947.
The case was filed after a probe body of ACC finds substantial proof of ‘irregularities and corruption’ in the construction of an embankment in Sunamganj-Sylhet haor area which severely harmed crops and livestock, ACC sources said Confirming about filing of the case, ACC spokesman Pranab Kumar Bhattacharya told daily sun that ACC also arrested two accused of the case—former BWDB executive engineer Afsar Uddin and proprietor of Ibrahim Traders Md Bachhu Miah—from the capital’s Motijheel area on Sunday”.
The accused 15 BWDB officials are former executive engineer (Sunamganj) Afsar Uddin, former superintending engineer (Sylhet) Nurul Islam Sarkar, former additional chief engineer (northwest zone) Md Abdul Hye, deputy divisional engineers (Sunamganj) Deepak Ranjan Das and Khalilur Rahman, and section officers (Sunamganj) Md Shahidullah, Ibrahim Khalilullah Khan, Khandaker Ali Reaz, Md Rafiqul Islam, Shah Alam, Barkat Ullah Bhuiyan, Mahmudul Karim, Md Mosaddek,Sajib Paul and Md Jahangir Hossain.
The proprietors or representatives of 46 local construction firms involved in repairing or constructing embankments in haors are also accused in the case.
The 46 accused are Afzalur Rahman, Shahin Ahmed, Md Zillur Rahman, Sajib Ranjan Das, Partha Sarothi, Hannan Ahmed, Khairul Huda Chapol, Kamal Hossain, Kazi Nasimuddin, Khandaker Ali Haider, Md Akbar Ali, Rabiul Alam, Abul Hossain, Shibrato Basu, Mozzmal Haque Moon, Baccu Miah, Sheikh M Mizanur Rahman, Abul Mohsin Mahbub, Bipresh Talukdar Bappi, Jamil Iqbal, Chinmoy Kanti Das, Niaz Ahmed Khan, Milon Kanti Dey, Wahid Rony, Soaib Ahmed, Md Yunus, Abdul Kayum, Atiqur Rahman, Gulam Sarwar, Khairuzzman, Mofijul Haq, Mokhlesur Rahman, Nurul Haq, Renu Mia, Sharin Haq, Shamsur Rahman, Abdul Mannan, Moksud Ahmed, Saidul Haq, Mahtab Chowdhury, Kazi Hasina Afrioz, Sheikh Ashraf Uddin, Latful Karim, Haji Kefitullah, Humayun Kabir, and Iqbal Mahmud.
According to the case, the BWBD officials in collusion with each other gave clearance to the contractors violating the basic contract rules to continue the unfinished works of 84 packages of fiscal 2015-16 without calling new tenders in fiscal 2016-17.
The contractors did not start works on nine packages out of 160 and completed partial works of the remaining 151 packages, paving the way to plunder money from the future haor projects and thus caused huge losses to famers.
The FIR said the BWDB took a 6.5-km embankment project in 2011 to prevent flashflood in Sunamganj. The project was supposed to be completed in 2015, but it is extended up to June 2019 due to delay in launching the project.
Earlier on May 4, a joint secretary of Water Resources Ministry and six WDB officials admitted to their negligence of duty in connection with irregularities in building embankments in Haor areas during ACC grilling.
Flashfloods in haor areas in Sunamganj district collapsed embankment due to incessant rain and on rush of water from across the border, inundating crops on 14,000 hectares of land recently.
The floods damaged 219,840 hectares of crop fields in Sunamganj and adjoining six districts, leaving 850,088 families to count massive losses.