The students of Jahangirnaar University continued their indefinite sit-in programme in front of the university's administrative building for second consecutive day to press their four-point demand including the withdrawal of case filed against 56 students for vandalism and attempt to murder.
They started to gather in front of the building around 8:00 am on Tuesday and laid siege to the building, UNB reports.
All administrative activities remained suspended as the Vice Chancellor and staffs, officials and workers of the building could not enter in their office.
Imran Nadim, one of the organisers of the programme and also president of Chhatra Union JU unit, said that they will continue their strike until fulfillment of their demand.
Professor Amir Hossain, vice chancellor (administration) said that JU Teachers Association (Juta) is trying to solve the problem.
A discussion led by vice chancellor will be held with the protesters in VC's office, said Associate Professor Farid Ahmed, general secretary of Juta.
After a three-day hunger strike at the Central Shaheed Minar premises on the campus earlier on July 17, four students of JU withdrew their fast unto death as JU pro-vice chancellor Prof Amir Hossian assured them of withdrawing the case.
On May 26 last, agitating students blocked Dhaka-Aricha highway for six hours following the deaths of two fellow students in a road accident in Savar while police fired rubber bullets and tear gas shells to disperse them.
Later, the students besieged and ransacked the VC's residence protesting police attack.
On May 27, university administration filed a case against 56 students bringing the allegation of vandalising the VC's house..