Toronto van attack: Suspect quizzed after 10 pedestrians killed | 2018-04-24 | daily-sun.com

Toronto van attack: Suspect quizzed after 10 pedestrians killed

BBC     24th April, 2018 01:58:30 printer

Toronto van attack: Suspect quizzed after 10 pedestrians killed

 

Canadian police are questioning the suspected driver of a rented van that ploughed into pedestrians in northern Toronto on Monday, killing 10 and injuring 15.

 

Alek Minassian, 25, was not previously known to authorities, police said.

 

The incident appeared to be deliberate but the motive was not clear, officials added.

 

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the "tragic and senseless attack" had brought him "great sadness".

 

Meanwhile, an officer has been praised for not opening fire during a tense standoff with the suspect, who claimed to be armed.

 

Video broadcast on CBC News showed a man pointing what appeared to be a gun at officers and shouting "kill me".

 

The officer tells the man to "get down" and when the suspect says he has a gun, the officer repeats: "I don't care. Get down." The suspect was then arrested without shots being fired.

 

Police said the white rental van mounted the kerb on Yonge Street between Finch Avenue and Sheppard Avenue at about 13:30 local time (17:30 GMT) on Monday and drove into pedestrians along a 2km (1.24 mile) stretch.

 

The incident happened while foreign ministers of the G7 leading industrialised nations - Canada, the US, Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Japan - were holding talks in Toronto.

 

Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said the G7 meetings would continue on Tuesday as planned.

.

Top