Seating service buses are back on the streets of the capital on Thursday after postponement of the drive against the exclusive service by the Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) for 15 days.
A large number of buses were seen plying on different city streets which remained off the streets for last four days due to the BRTA drive.
Owners and operators of many sitting service buses kept their buses off the streets protesting the BRTA drive causing immense sufferings to the commuters, specially women and children.
On Wednesday, BRTA decided to suspend the drive considering the sufferings of the commuters in the last few days, according to sources at the state-run organisation. BRTA chairman Md Moshiar Rahman announced postponement of the drive for 15 days.
“Mobile courts will, however, keep watch to make sure that the conductors of these services do not charge extra fare from the passengers,” the BRTA chairman said.
Following resumption of sitting service buses in large numbers, sufferings of commuters lessened to some extent.
“After four days of pause, I have brought out my vehicle on the street on Thursday,” said Akram Hossain, a driver of a sitting service bus, Anabil Paribahan, that plies along Jatrabari and Tongi route.
“I kept my vehicle off the streets for four days to avoid brawl with the passengers,” he stated.
Many of the bus owners kept their buses of the city streets after launching of the drive on April 16.
However, some bus owners who ‘supported’ the drive, claimed that the drivers and their assistants had been refusing to work because of frequent scuffles with them and passengers over fare.
Meanwhile, the government is considering to form seven companies for operating 4,000 buses which will be bought soon to revamp the lackadaisical transport services in the capital, said Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) mayor Annisul Huq.
He disclosed this while speaking to media on Thursday during a drive conducted for ousting encroachers from footpaths in the diplomatic zone of Gulshan.
“Seven separate holding companies will be formed to operate the buses.We hope to introduce some of them within this year.”
After operators pulled out buses from streets following a crackdown against those only carrying seated passengers, Road Transport Minister Obaidul Quader on Wednesday revealed the plan to procure the buses.
“The DNCC mayor and transport industry representatives will discuss this with us in May. Mayor Annisul has a plan to buy 4,000 foreign buses, so we will discuss it with bus owners,” he said.