Iraqi forces launch assault to retake Old City | daily-sun.com

Fight against IS

Iraqi forces launch assault to retake Old City

    19 June, 2017 12:00 AM printer

Iraqi forces launch assault to retake Old City

Displaced Iraqis arrive at a temporary camp at the compound of the closed Nineveh International Hotel in Mosul on Friday which was recovered by Iraqi troops from Islamic State group fighters earlier in the year. - AFP Photo

MOSUL: Iraqi forces on Sunday launched an assault to retake Mosul’s Old City and push out the Islamic State group, three years after the jihadists seized the city and announced their “caliphate”, reports AFP.

 

“The army, counter-terrorism forces and federal police launched an attack on the Old City,” Staff Lieutenant General Abdulamir Yarallah said in a statement.

 

Staff Lieutenant General Abdulwahab al-Saadi, a senior commander with the Counter-Terrorism Service, confirmed the “start of the assault on the Old City”.

 

Iraqi forces backed by air strikes from a US-led coalition are pressing an offensive to retake the Old City on the west side of the city from the jihadists.

 

“The initial air strikes started at around midnight. The security forces started storming parts of the Old City at dawn,” an officer with Nineveh operations command said.

Machinegun fire crackled and plumes of smoke from missiles rose above the Old City.

 

But across the Tigris river, on Mosul’s east bank, life went on almost as usual as shoppers, students and workers pushed through traffic jams.

 

Taking back the Old City, a densely populated warren of narrow alleyways on the western side of Mosul, is crucial to recapturing the whole of the former IS bastion.

 

Iraqi forces launched the battle for Mosul in October, retaking the eastern part of the city in January and starting the operation for its western part the next month.

 

The United Nations said Friday that IS may be holding more than 100,000 civilians as human shields in the Old City.

 

The UN refugee agency’s representative in Iraq Bruno Geddo said IS had been capturing civilians and forcing them into the Old City.

 

“More than 100,000 civilians may still be held in the Old City,” Geddo told reporters in Geneva.

 

“We know that ISIS moved them with them as they left... locations where the fighting was going on,” he said, using another acronym for IS.


Top